Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why do they call me Freddy Fatlas?

Chances are, you're familiar with who Teddy Atlas is. This guy is a genius when it comes to the sport of boxing. He can literally watch two people do nothing but shadowbox for 5 minutes, and then tell you exactly what each persons weakness is, and what each person needs to do in order to beat the other person. He is thee absolute genius when it comes to the sport of boxing. Well, I love boxing, but I suck at it. I try to do what I can and I know the basics, but when it comes down to it, I'm no good at it and I have no problem admitting this. However, when it comes to MMA, especially grappling in MMA, I am borderline GENIUS!

Okay, that may very well be a "slight" exaggeration but I love breaking down film and explaining what is going right and wrong, and that is what I will be doing on this blog. It irks me when I see people make simple little mistakes tn positions that ends up costing people fights. It also gets me jumping out of my seat when I see competitors take the time to be technicians and do the right things on the mat. So yeah, That's right, they call me Freddy Fatlas, and I am the Fight Professor.

This blog will be an educational tool for people out there who watch MMA, especially those who train in the arts. Please check back often, as I will be posting useful information on a semi-regular basis.

I have helped train several world class Jiu-Jitsu/grappling competitors and a number of MMA fighters as well. I have been an instructor at a couple of very well known MMA gyms over the years. I am not here to toot my horn, but I'm lucky enough to not have to do this for a living. I have been blessed with a good, stable job, a great family and I am happy to call MMA and Jiu-Jitsu a "hobby" that I just so happen to be addicted to. My hope is to get this sport continue to evolve at a technical level. So often, many subtle details are overlooked and this is the place where we will examine them and break them down.

For reasons that I would rather not have to fully explain, I will remain completely anonymous on this blog. This is a work in progress and I have high hopes for it. I am not here to sell you anything, I am not here to brag about who I am and how many famous people I have tapped out. I am not here to tell you what I have seen happen to famous fighters in the gym. I am only here to try to help everybody who gets on the mat and puts in work by using words and and pictures.

Admittedly, I will be posting images on this site that I do not own the rights to. I will post links and information to give due credit and publicity to the ones who do own the rights, but if any of you folks out there have a problem with me using an image that you own the rights to, please e-mail me @ freddyfatlas@hotmail.com and I will delete them from my blog if you really wish. For the most part, these images will be coming in the form of snapshots from sites like youtube, which are already free for anybody in the world to view, but like I said, if you gotta problem and want me to pull them down, hit me up and I will do so.

Like I said earlier, I am not here to sell anything and I am not here to make a name for myself (hence the alias) or anybody affiliated with me. I am somebody who has put in a lot of time on the mats for this sport and this blog is my way to giving back to those who will be carrying the flag for generations to come. Hopefully that is fully understood and you will realize that it is my passion for the sport that drives me to take the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment